Saturday, July 14, 2012

Cupcake Challenge

Alexpedition is home now, but I fully intend on continuing my adventures.

When I arrived home I of course shared with everyone my stories of the road and my Sprinkles cupcake joy.

My daughter threw down a challenge, "Georgetown Cupcakes are better!"

She had never had a Sprinkles cupcake and I had never had a Georgetown cupcake. Both are blocks apart in Washington, DC so we decided to perform the showdown there.

When we arrived at Georgetown Cupcake there was a large line outside the door. I was impressed. However, long lines don't make a great cupcake. Given the closing time of both stores we decided to split up. One third of the research team staying at Georgetown the other two thirds heading for Sprinkles. The Sprinkles team did encounter a line but secured their cupcakes before team Georgetown had entered the store.

We finally secured 3 cupcakes from each store and headed for a quiet place on the Georgetown University campus to perform the challenge.

I decided, to be fair, to taste test the Red Velvet cupcakes from both stores.

Unboxing the Georgetown cupcakes.



The box is created for 4 cupcakes and the hole for the 4th cupcake is camouflaged with a sticker. They are slightly smaller than the Sprinkles cupcakes. They certainly look yummy.

Unboxing the Sprinkles cupcakes.



The box is again created for 4 cupcakes and the hole is filled with a wad of paper. Comparing them to the Georgetown cupcakes they are certainly not as pretty. they did however provide a bag and plates.

Side by side comparison Red Velvet.



I will taste test the two red velvet cupcakes.

First the Georgetown cupcake...to be fair one bite.



Yummmmm...the Georgetown cupcake is yummy. The frosting is light in texture with a great flavor. I almost want to say a hint of lemon, but who knows? The cake itself is good, but the icing is the flavor in this cupcake.

I cleanse my pallet with a drink of water and wait a minute.

Now the Sprinkles cupcake....again to be fair, one bite.




The icing is heavier and has a crisp dried layer on top. It does not have any of the popping flavor of the Georgetown cupcake. It pales in comparison. The cake itself is again really not the source of the flavor of the cupcake and with little zing to the icing the cake is unremarkable but adequate in texture. The cupcake falls apart when picked up a second time.

The research team agreed that we don't like hard candy things on top of our cupcakes.

The winner....Georgetown Cupcakes.




They do have a TV show.



Cost comparison. The Sprinkles bill.


The Georgetown bill.



My daughter text messaged me about another cupcake shop on U street...and another friend texted about a shop in New York.

Stay Tuned.


From Georgetown...signing off.

5 comments:

  1. Magnolia Bakery, Bleeker St. NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can go see pooh and piglet and that museum!!!

      Delete
  2. We still need to do this road trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So when are we going to NYC to test cupcakes and visit museum(s)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm game if you want to go some time during Christmas break...we could ride the train.

    ReplyDelete