Friday, June 28, 2013

The National Museum of Racing

So this morning I headed for the horse racing museum.

I found Saratoga Racetrack and the museum before the museum opened so I parked and walked down by the racetrack.

First, horse racing doesn't start in Saratoga this year until July 19th...I knew that when I went there. I'm sure it would have been impossible to enjoy, in almost complete SOLITUDE, all of the things I was able to enjoy. I was THE ONLY PERSON in the museum this morning. Do you know how NICE that is? I could see everything and read everything and take as long and stare as much as I wanted. I LOVE museums!!! I watched all of the videos!!!!


Looks like Wally World


Anyway, I looked longingly at the racetrack and can't wait for the day when I go back and see it in operation. I'm also wondering why I didn't go to Ag College when I had the chance :(

Anyway on to the museum.


Outside of the museum is a bronze of Seabiscuit.


In the courtyard is the famous bronze of Secretariat. These are very nice but the bronze of Barbaro in action at Churchill Downs is still the most impressive horse statue I have ever seen.


Okay so at this point I entered the museum. The woman at the desk told me I could take my camera in but I could only take pictures in the hall of fame area and the children's area.

So, I'm sorry, I'm a rule follower. I took no photos. But I really enjoyed not taking pictures and just enjoying the artifacts.

The museum is filled with bronze statues of all the famous race horses. Beautiful original oil paintings of all the famous race horses. Riding silks, saddles, boots and all sorts of artifacts. I love bronze statues. If I had an ounce of artistic ability I would make statues in bronze. I did not touch any of the bronzes at the dance museum and they were certainly touchable. But all of the bronzes in the racing museum were in cases...I would have had trouble not touching them. Bronze statues tempt me to touch them, I think that's why I like them so much.

I was amazed at how small the ballet costumes in the dance museum were. I was even more amazed at how small the jockey's saddles were. I am going to say what went through my mind. I thought, "My goodness they are riding those horses on large leather maxi pads!" They had a western saddle for you to compare it to. I was amazed. 

See, you don't want me NOT to have a filter between my brain and my mouth. There is a reason God made me a QUIET thinker. You don't really want to know what my mind is thinking.

So I took a few pictures in the children's area.


This starting gate scared me.


In the hall of fame I took some photos of the plaques of some of my favorite horses.

Of course Ruffian is my favorite.


Go For Wand


Silks



And then there was this part of the museum. (I was also permitted to take pictures here.)


I learned a lot of interesting things.


For example did you know the acceleration of a thoroughbred race horse is greater than the acceleration of a Ferrari.

A race horse pliƩs in the starting gate to start that acceleration.

The difference between you and any animal that can not climb trees is your collar bone.

Horses run on their toes like ballerinas. 

When picking a good race horse starting at the head the first thing you look for is large nostrils and large eyes.

After that it's all geometry kids. A horse can see 330 degrees. Is that a full circle? No, but close!!


This is the human jaw, which has a two directional grinding motion. The horsey chews in a circle. The lion's jaw is scary when you turn the wheel...lots of torque.

So do I still have time to become an equine vet??

No comments:

Post a Comment