Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Knoxville

What a day.

I have learned three things today.

1. Virginia is way too big to be one state. They need to break it up into 4 little states.

2. If you have to pee and you are going to get off at the next exit, you are about to get in a traffic jam.

3. You get what you pay for. NEVER stay at a Red Roof Inn, Emily is right, "I can't stay here."

It took about an hour to escape Pennsylvania. I spent 10 minutes in Maryland and then moved on to West Virginia, where the state slogan is "will work 4 fud" (nice touch having a homeless man standing at the side of the road holding the state slogan as you enter the state). As I said, Virginia is too big and I thought it would never end. I finally entered Tennessee and stopped for gas. Gas is a little cheaper here, about $3.00 a gallon. Everyone in Tennessee talks like Dolly Parton. Even the men.

The landscape hasn't changed much. It gets hillier in different areas, but I could fool myself into thinking I am still in Pennsylvania.

My mood is also still going up and down a bit. Sometimes I get a shot of anxiety about being so far away from home.

But it's okay. I've been leaving bread crumbs along the way.



4 comments:

  1. I drove my family that same route to attend a Gallaway reunion in North Carolina. You explained it perfectly and Virginia appears never to end on that drive down route 81. Once I hit the state of Tennessee though I turned south towards the Black Mountains of North Carolina. Now that you have reached one of your destinations, you will quickly forget about that first long drive. Now have fun in Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you hit the kudzu yet? Glad you found a place to stay where you felt comfortable. Enjoy the journey! Looking forward to reading all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudzu? sorry will have to google that

    ReplyDelete
  4. What book are you reading on your "down"time?~marypat

    ReplyDelete