Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Twas the night before...

This time tomorrow I should be in Knoxville, Tennessee. And I've never been to Tennessee before so that's exciting. The anxiety I have been feeling all day put aside for a few moments by that excitement, finally. My feelings are closest to the feelings I had those dreaded summer mornings at the pool growing up. I didn't want to be a swimmer. Both of my brothers were very good swimmers. I excelled at nothing (or was it everything) so I was forced to swim the individual medley. All four strokes, 25 meters each and every time I was competing with the other swimmers until I turned for the lap of the breast stroke. I couldn't get my body to move through the water with any speed, I didn't get it. My sister was forced to swim as well, which she hated. She claims to this day she just wanted to go to horseback riding lessons. I don't know what I wanted to do instead of swimming. Maybe Visit a goat farm, Graceland? or maybe just escape from the world for a little while. But I didn't want to jump into that freezing cold water during the early morning hours of my summer vacation, that was for sure. I feel the same way right now. Knowing I have to dive into this pool of freezing cold water. I know I'll get used to it in less than a minute. I know everything will be fine. It's the waiting that's hard. Waiting for the starters gun. I feel the exact same way before a 5k...I just want to get started.

1 comment:

  1. But sometimes that cold water is refreshing and amazing. Think of all the young people you teach. Aren't you trying to get them to prepare to embark on a similar journey? Don't you want them to see this amazing world firsthand? Aren't you providing them with the tools to go forth and explore? So keep diving into the water and take me and others along on your journey; at least virtually. Have a blast gal...

    ReplyDelete